How often do you visit back to uk?

jimmyay1

Just that really! Chatting with a couple of poms recently, they've both been back to uk within a year of emigrating, for a holiday, all good. I guess whatever suits. I have no particular desire to visit. I may do at end of next year which will be 3 years since I left. It's for a family milestone birthday otherwise frankly I wouldn't bother at all. How often do you visit The uk, or do some people never bother at all? My holidays this year I went to Europe but we didn't bother to go to the uk. Why waste the holiday when there's so many other places to see in the world. Or is this selfish?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We went back after being here for just under a year. I'm hoping (if we can afford it) to go back again for Christmas next year, which will be 18months after the last time. I'm mostly going back to see my parents and so my parents can see the kids. It's unlikely my parents will ever be able to visit us. When we were living in the UK we came to Australia every 18 months on average to visit my OHs family. I'd like to aim for something similar here but doubt we will be able to afford to do so. If we didn't have the kids I probably wouldn't be so bothered and would maybe go every three or four years.

I can probably beat some records here , because we have been back about 15 times in the 27 yrs we've been in Australia . In fact we only arrived back last week from a 5 week stay in the UK .. My parents are both 86 yrs old , and at my age I count myself so fortunate to have them both alive , and I'm going to visit them as much as I can , because one day perhaps in the not too distant I'm not going to have them , and you can't turn the clock back and wish I'd made more of an effort when it's too late ...

Everyone is different , we all have differing priorities and financial limitations , but as long as we can afford to we will continue to visit the UK on a yearly basis , I'd hate it to be any other way ...

Dave C

I was no where near ready for a return after a year...took till 3 years in to consider it and we went back after 4, it was time, people had been unwell and it took it's toll being so far away, all good, had the most amazing holiday, by the 3rd week were ready to come home to Perth, said we wouldn't go back again for 5 years but we are going back (this week!) for hubbys 40th celebrations, he is a twin and after much deliberation decided best to go back so could enjoy it with his brother and other family/friends, also decided a good opportunity for our son to experience a Northern Hemisphere Xmas before he gets too old (he is 8) and was 2 when we emigrated. So many other places to see though and I feel that 2 years between trips is not really enough, saw several members of the family last year anyway as they come here....I think it will be a 5 yearly thing for us or thereabouts. I totally understand people not wanting to return, I think its about who is there more than anything and if you miss/like them!! We have a large network of family and friends who we enjoy spending time with.

I go home every 15 months. It takes me that length of time to accrue the necessary amount of leave for a 3-4 week holiday, which is the amount of time I need to have a proper unwind and catch up with my family and friends. As soon as one holiday ends I'm counting down till the next one. It's essential for my mental health to know that I can escape Australia and reconnect with home and all the people I miss. Once I arrive back, a huge surge of adrenalin and wellbeing just floods my system and I feel like me again.

Can't wait for next September's trip :smile:

Every 2 years for us. We've been here 6 years so that is 3 times so far.

Can't wait til the next trip. We always have a great time, not just catching up with family and friends, but just being back in Blighty is a great feeling.

With our 2 boys we've always talked in very positive terms about the UK and Europe (we always make a point of visiting the continent, usually France where I might like to retire one day), so they're very excited to go and see the castles etc., as well as seeing all their family.

Out of my extended family, none except my parents has any interest or financial capacity to visit us here, so the onus is on us to go there. Personally I see it as a duty to my kids and their English family to stay connected, keep options very much open etc.

Been here 3 years. Been back once so far for catch up / wedding and we are going this christmas to see many chldren / neices & nephews and to (almost certainly) bury my grand mother.

We went 3 times in 5 years - it wasn't the UK I was visiting it was my parents and as they weren't fit enough to travel that was the only way to see them. As an only child it was a mix of duty and desire and it was an aspect that I didn't consider fully enough before we migrated and a significant factor in our return. I didn't live close to them in the UK so only saw them a couple of times a year anyway so prior to going I really didn't see it as a big deal - I'd left home at 18 and never gone back, lived all over the UK and travelled all over the world.

It was part of the deal with my OH that we would go back to visit every year - his parents had passed on so he didn't have the same pull. Our first trip back was after 9 months and that was a mistake, whilst I was still very much in the honeymoon period, unbeknown to me my OH was not happy and when it came time to come back I pretty much had to order him on the plane at Glasgow airport.

If you have ties that matter in the UK and the onus will be on you to visit then I would seriously consider if migrating is the right thing for you - I was never homesick but the desire to visit every year or two is a significant financial and holiday commitment. It basically meant we weren't able to do anything else, as each trip cost about $10k.

Every 2 years for us. We've been here 6 years so that is 3 times so far.

Can't wait til the next trip. We always have a great time, not just catching up with family and friends, but just being back in Blighty is a great feeling.

With our 2 boys we've always talked in very positive terms about the UK and Europe (we always make a point of visiting the continent, usually France where I might like to retire one day), so they're very excited to go and see the castles etc., as well as seeing all their family.

Out of my extended family, none except my parents has any interest or financial capacity to visit us here, so the onus is on us to go there. Personally I see it as a duty to my kids and their English family to stay connected, keep options very much open etc.

It's great that your kids get the chance to connect with their British side mate, that's got to help with their identity as they grow up. I bet they love the variety of experiences that come from visiting the UK and Europe. I'd love for us to have a family holiday in the UK, rather than going there alone, but my Australian partner isn't that fussed on returning to the UK as the Australians she was friends with there have all returned here. Plus the expense of a family holiday is pretty steep isn't it?

Came out in 2009, went back in 2011.

We were saving the $20k needed for a Christmas trip including Lapland for Santa and the northern lights in two more years, but the BIL decided to get married to a Yank in Texas last week so the savings have taken a huge hit (the oh went alone).

At least another 3 years of saving now to get that $20k.

It's great that your kids get the chance to connect with their British side mate, that's got to help with their identity as they grow up. I bet they love the variety of experiences that come from visiting the UK and Europe. I'd love for us to have a family holiday in the UK, rather than going there alone, but my Australian partner isn't that fussed on returning to the UK as the Australians she was friends with there have all returned here. Plus the expense of a family holiday is pretty steep isn't it?

Would it be possible to take your little girl with you so she gets to visit with your family even if your OH doesn't want to go?

Thing is we went back recently to visit family and friends, didn't feel like a holiday though. A lot of driving and spare rooms. We did do some fun things. But still wanted a holiday as well. But I guess the flights were offset by the free accommodation though!

I wonder if it's the chicken and egg thing . I notice that those that go back regularly are on the whole less happy here? Don't want to make sweeping statements but that's what seems to be the case. Do they go back more because they are not so happy or does going back more often make them less happy and 3rd question how the heck do you afford it. I reckon our last trip cost us close on $20,000

Thing is we went back recently to visit family and friends, didn't feel like a holiday though. A lot of driving and spare rooms. We did do some fun things. But still wanted a holiday as well. But I guess the flights were offset by the free accommodation though!

Lucky you with the spare rooms. We spent about $2500 on premier Inns and travelodges !

Towards the end of my entrapment, anywhere between 6 and 16 months, average around 9 months I suppose. I needed it for my sanity, visiting my octogenarian parents and eldest son. I found it got harder the older my parents got. I have just been back to Aus for a fortnight to catch up with the granddaughters and that was the first time in 3 years - probably about the right time although I would like to try 2 years for the next trip. When we first arrived in Aus it was probably about every 3 years or for significant family events and usually just me and the kids for most of them - my Aussie husband had no inclination at that point but he's changed quite a bit now.

I have asked my son if he would like to go to the mining museum (and main museum) where we come from so he can understand his and his Mums roots. I think it's important they know where they came from.

Towards the end of my entrapment, anywhere between 6 and 16 months, average around 9 months I suppose. I needed it for my sanity, visiting my octogenarian parents and eldest son. I found it got harder the older my parents got. I have just been back to Aus for a fortnight to catch up with the granddaughters and that was the first time in 3 years - probably about the right time although I would like to try 2 years for the next trip. When we first arrived in Aus it was probably about every 3 years or for significant family events and usually just me and the kids for most of them - my Aussie husband had no inclination at that point but he's changed quite a bit now.

Is it 3 yrs you've been back in the uk Quoll?!!

I aim to get back every 12 to 18 months. Not because I miss England, but to see elderly parents who won't ever be able to come here. I'm very happy here, and so is the whole family, but I want to see my parents. I enjoy my time there, but when I'm there I don't feel homesick for England, but look forward to getting back to Oz.

My husband hasn't been back and has no desire to go back.

Our children are all teenagers, and we've paid for them each to go back once during the long summer holidays here. They all really wanted to go back (for a visit, not to live), but once they'd been, they said they'd rather people came to visit them here.

Now that they are choosing their own holidays, they are choosing places nearer to Oz with their mates over visits to the UK.

Archived